Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Spaghetti Pie

This isn't really a "recipe" but I thought I would share this dish with you all just in case it had never occurred to you to try it.  If you're like me, then spaghetti is one of your household staples. My husband loves it; it's cheap; it's relatively good for you; and it's fast. However, in order to break up the monotony of spaghetti (even though I often fix it different ways to keep the flavors lively), I sometimes make what I call spaghetti pie.
 
This was a little over-browned (woops!) but still tasty!

It's essentially spaghetti, but it's baked in a pie plate and is generously interspersed with Italian cheeses. To make it, prepare the same amount of spaghetti noodles as you normally would, then drain them and drizzle with olive oil to keep the noodles from sticking to one another. (I've also read that adding olive oil to your spaghetti helps your body absorb lycopene, which is a powerful antioxidant found in tomatoes.) The rest is just layering and baking.  Very easy and something different than everyday spaghetti!

Spaghetti Pie

Spaghetti Noodles (prepared)
Spaghetti Sauce (prepared)
Blended Italian cheeses
Parmesan cheese

In a pie plate or square baking dish, layer above ingredients making sure to generously coat the spaghetti noodles with sauce. (Using a meat sauce will increase the heartiness of the meal.)  Finish layering with cheeses and place in moderate oven (350 degrees) for about 30 minutes or until cheese is well-browned.
Serve with garlic bread/toast and salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...