Monday, March 21, 2011

Caribbean Jerk Grilled Trout

File:FunkenflugGrill 9647b.jpg
It's spring, everybody! (And about time!!) Warmer weather means one important thing for me when it comes to cooking: grilling out.  We do a lot of grilling during the spring and summer, which is nice for a variety of reasons: enjoying being outdoors, no messy kitchen to clean-up, tasty food, and hubby is top chef! We don't have one of those  $1,000 + intimidating, stainless steel contraptions, rather a simple charcoal grill, which I prefer to gas anyway. I like grilling with charcoal because: 1) It gives more flavor to the food; 2) I have a gas stove, so why wouldn't I just use it instead of a gas grill? and 3) it makes your general vicinity smell like summer! 
 
File:Trout.jpg
Rainbow Trout
One of my absolute favorite things to fix on the grill is fish. Of course, you probably have to be a like-er of fish to even think about grilling(or at least be some what adventurous) unless it's something you're already accustomed to. Unfortunately, it seems that many Americans who eat fish tend to stick to the panko-breaded, battered, deep-fried crunchy stuff a la Long John Silvers.  Not that I'm knockin' on that, because I enjoy a crispy, golden fillet (and crunchies! ) from time to time myself.  However, the best fish, in my humble opinion, is always grilled.  In fact, as much as I love a great prime rib, I would opt for good, grilled fish over steak any day.  I would also have to admit that many of the best meals I've ever had consisted of fish as the main course: grouper in Florida, mahi mahi in Hawaii, trout from the Bonefish Grill, sea bass prepared by a local acquaintance and whole tilapia made by my friend's mother. All of these, by the way, were grilled or baked--a coincidence? I think not.   


There is so much to be said of fish that is properly prepared: it's tender, it's moist, it's flavorful, it's delicate, and...it's even good for you! (Well, the grilled kind is good for you; the deep-fried, batter-clad catfish we love so much probably isn't...) So the next time you fire up the grill, think about trading some of those hotdogs and hamburgers in for some grilled fish and shrimp.  One of my favorite methods of preparation happens to be one of the easiest: open a bottle of marinade and let your fish/shrimp marinate for at least 30 minutes before throwing it on the grill.  Fortunately, there are about as many kinds of marinade available as there are ways to use it.  Find one that has a flavor you like (i.e. Caribbean Jerk, Teriyaki, etc.) and try it out!  It's also great over grilled veggies, especially peppers, mushrooms, squash and zucchini.  My favorite marinade is currently KC Masterpiece's Spiced Caribbean Jerk 30 Minute Marinade. It's soo good...sweet and spicy! (Just like me--haha!)

Caribbean Jerk Grilled Trout 

Fresh trout (frozen will do, but fresh is much better)
KC Masterpiece Spiced Caribbean Jerk 30 Minute Marinade
(Hot grill)

Place trout in a shallow dish, skin-side down.  Spoon marinade onto fish, applying liberally.  Turn fish over so that skin faces upward, and generously apply marinade to skin as well.  Cover with plastic wrap, place in refrigerator and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes.  Place on preheated grill, skin-side down, and close grill lid.  Allow to cook for about 7 minutes, then begin testing for doneness.  (Cooking time will vary based on thickness of fish and grill temperature.)  Fish is done when easily flaked with a fork and juices are clear.  Serve hot.

Trout is such a beautiful fish--so appetizing to the eye!

Marinate for at least 30 minutes

 You can also marinate shrimp the same way

Hot off the grill and ready to eat!
Not exactly the most appetizing of pictures (Hubby won't eat the skin for some reason...),
but you can see how the flesh is tender and flaky--just perfect!


Happy spring, everyone!

(P.S. Cream Puffs tomorrow to celebrate my dad's birthday...can't wait for those!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...