Friday, March 4, 2011

Mom-ma's Homemade Biscuits

Mom-ma's Biscuits: my absolute favorite
Every cook makes biscuits differently.   If you put my grandmother's biscuits on a plate beside my mother's, I could instantly tell the difference, even though they're both delicious. Biscuits are sort of like a trademark...many people will recognize you for the bread you make (cornbread, especially, but I'll post about cornbread later...).  Like many other foods that are made from scratch, there are all kinds of ways to make biscuits, but the basic principle is always the same: flour + fat + milk + high heat = biscuits. 

Fortunately, I come from a good line of biscuit-makers (haha!): both of my grandmothers made heavenly biscuits, and my mom is also pretty darn-good at it. However, I find that I am constantly trying to perfect my own, as so much of how they turn out is in the handling. If my sisters stay with us, or my husband requests biscuits, I will usually ask "What kind do you want?" This means: Do you want Granny's biscuits, or Mom-ma's biscuits...etc.? 

Today, I'm going to give you Mom-ma's (my grandmother's) biscuit recipe. She makes my absolute favorite biscuits, which are incredibly light and delicately textured. They are just perfect no matter how you eat them!  One thing that's kind of different about Mom-ma's biscuits is the fat she puts in them.  Almost every biscuit recipe in a cookbook will call for shortening to be cut into the flour before the liquid is added.   What Mom-ma does differently than most is use oil instead of shortening. If you have always used shortening, I think you'll be surprised at how well the oil works. I think it also helps make for a lighter biscuit. Not only does using oil save time and effort (because you don't have to cut the oil in), but it's also healthier for you.

Mom-ma's Biscuits

2 c. self-rising flour
1/4 c. oil
3/4-1 c. milk
1-2 T. softened butter

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Place flour in mixing bowl, and add oil and milk.  Add only 3/4 c. milk at first, and add more as needed.  Dough should be very soft, but should still hold its shape.  Stir vigorously for about 10-15 seconds, but only until ingredients are combined. (Over-stirring will cause bread to be tough.) Place dough onto a floured counter top.  Sprinkle top of dough with flour, and be sure to coat fingers so dough will not stick.  Don't knead the dough, but simply pat-out until about 1/2" thick, then cut with a biscuit cutter.  Place onto ungreased pan and spread softened butter over tops of biscuits. (You could also just spray them with a quick blast of non-stick cooking spray.) Bake in hot oven (450 degrees) for about 8-10 minutes or until tops are delicately browned. Serve hot with favorite topping, or serve plain.


Mom-ma uses oil instead of shortening, which also saves time, because you don't have to cut it i.


Turn dough out onto lightly floured counter top, pat-out, and cut with biscuit cutter.

Place on ungreased pan, spread tops with softened butter, and bake at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes.


Serve hot, plain or with favorite spread.



Top left to bottom right: apple butter, apple jelly, honey and blackberry jelly
(all homemade--except for the honey--it was locally made).
 These are excellent with anything: gravy, sausage, butter, jelly, apple butter, molasses, honey, or plain.  These biscuits are so good, and so light, you will be perfectly satisfied eating them with nothing but a cold glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee! Here in the South, biscuits aren't only a breakfast bread: they are often served with dinner, especially if the main course is fried chicken or ham.  Try them, and let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. Somehow I've never gotten Mom-ma's recipe. Silly me!! Now I will be using that one! They are SOO good! Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These make me hungry! I love the look of these biscuits! DEEE-li-cious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made Mom-ma's biscuits today. They are soo good! They came out beautifully golden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good! I like them also because you don't have to cut anything in.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...