Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Aunt Danola's Baby Ruth Cookies

My Aunt Danola was an older sister to my grandmother, Hattie. She was truly a great lady whom I always admired; she really enjoyed a good laugh and always had a good story to tell. She had a chuckle that just made you feel good and would often begin a remark with, "Now, children..." They sure don't make 'em like Aunt Danola anymore.
  

Chewy and rich, salty and sweet,you'll want a tall,
cold glass of milk to go with these!

Like my grandmother, she was an excellent cook, and completely won me over about 15 years ago with her baked beans.  This cookie recipe was given to me by her son, Joel, and I promise you won't regret making them. (I would recommend, however, making sure there is milk in the fridge before you do.)


Aunt Danola's Baby Ruth Cookies

1 c. margarine
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
3 large Baby Ruth bars, cut-up

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs, and beat until creamy. In a separate bowl, combine flour, soda and salt; add to sugar mixture.  Add vanilla and Baby Ruth candy; stir until well-combined.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes, then drop by teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet.  Bake for about 10 minutes, or until tops are delicately browned. Remove from oven, and as soon as cookies have cooled enough to hold together, transfer them onto cooling racks. (This can be somewhat tricky, as any melted caramel from the candy will harden onto the cookie sheet as they cool.) Makes about 52 cookies.

I like to use a small ice cream scoop to drop cookies; this insures that they will be a uniform size,
and it allows you to skip the step of chilling the dough, since you don't have to handle it.  

6 comments:

  1. This seems like a good candidate for baking on parchment paper or a silpat. Nonetheless, these look (and sound) yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The parchment paper would be a good idea! I've never used the silicone pads before...have you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have owned two sets of silicone bakeware and I find that they come in handy for sticky things. I still, by and large, prefer regular baking sheets because for some reason silicone doesn't promote even browning (no matter what they tell you on QVC or whatever). Also, silicone is an absolute pain to clean by hand. On the other hand, my last set of silicone was ruined because the dishwasher rack kept poking holes in it! You can't win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today was the first time I even looked at your recipes and just happened to hit the cookies and there was my mom's recipe for the Baby Ruth cookies, neddless to say I was shocked and will agree they are the best cookies you can eat, and YES!! a cold glass of milk is a pre-requisite to total enjoyment. Thank you for the comment that they don't make them like her anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm guessing that "crustynmc" is Joel? (It won't let me view your profile...) I'm so glad you made these. My cousin's wife made them to send to my cousin who is serving in Afghanistan...so they will now be loved all over the world! Aunt Danola was really very special. I had a beautiful pic of her that I wanted to post with the recipe, but I guess the file was too big for the server or something...it wouldn't let me upload it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woops! Meant to say, "I'm so glad you gave me this recipe"!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...