Thursday, March 24, 2011

Homemade Pineapple & Ham Pizza

Pineapple and ham--my favorite!
I hope you all like my new layout as much as I do.  It isn't that I didn't like the other one, but I just wasn't satisfied with it somehow or other. I couldn't ever really put my finger on what it was that I thought wasn't just quite right; I really love this one, though!

This evening for supper I made pizza.  Pizza is one of my go-to meals, because I always have the ingredients on hand, and it doesn't take long to make. It's also cheaper (and better!) than the frozen ones which I usually try to keep on-hand for whenever I really just don't feel like making anything.  Of course, you could always substitute your favorite toppings (i.e. green peppers, pepperoni, hamburger, onions, black olives, mushrooms, sausage, etc.)  in place of the pineapple and ham if you aren't a fan of it.  We, however, like to mix it up now and then so that "pizza" doesn't just mean cheese and pepperoni. This is  how I make my pineapple and ham pizza:

Pizza Crust

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 T. or 1 pkg. rapid rise yeast
1 tsp. salt
2 T. sugar
2 T. oil
3/4 -1 c. hot tap water

Combine flour, yeast, salt and sugar in mixing bowl.  Add oil and hot tap water; beat well. (Add 3/4 c. water at first, then more if needed to thin the dough.) Dough should be soft, but be able to hold its shape.  Cover with a towel and let rest 10 minutes.  Punch down, turn-out on generously floured surface and knead about 1 minute or until dough is firm.  Pat out into greased pan(s).  Bake at 350 degrees until crust is just set, but not browned.  Spread with favorite toppings and bake at 425 degrees for about 17-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crust is slightly browned.  Cut and serve hot.  (My mom uses this recipe for two crusts; I prefer a thicker crust, so I use this for only one pizza.)

Pizza Sauce

1 (8 oz.) can of tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1/2 T. sugar
pinch of garlic powder
1tsp. basil
1-1 1/2 tsp. oregano

Combine all ingredients in small bowl and spread on prepared pizza crust.  Top with cheese and topping of choice. (Since I was making a pineapple and ham pizza, I added an additional 1/2 tablespoon of sugar to my sauce to sweeten it up a bit.)

Toppings

3 c. shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese
1 (8 oz.) can diced or crushed pineapple (without juice)
6 pieces of Canadian bacon, sliced
Parmesean cheese

Spread cheese evenly on top of prepared crust. Then distribute pineapple and Canadian bacon evenly on top of cheese.  Cover with additional shredded cheese if desired, and sprinkle Parmesean on top of this.  Bake at 425 degrees for about 17-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is browned.


Also: Try making individual, deep-dish pizzas in cast iron skillets sometime! They make for an extremely good crust.


Dough is mixed-up; now resting for 10 minutes before kneading.


 Dough has baked for about 6 minutes at 350 degrees until set.
Now we can top it!

Hot, cut and ready to eat!

 Enjoy! Thanks for stopping by! =)

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm.....Pineapple and ham pizza? I'm not so sure about that? But I'm willing to give it a try :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...